Direct Carrier Billing also known as Direct Operator Billing (DOB), refers to the payment method used to pay for purchases made over a phone number. When a consumer chooses to pay for their purchase through their mobile service’s bill, the merchant will charge the respective Service Provider for the purchase, which is then reflected in the bill. Once this option is activated, the charge will continue to be billed unless and until the service is terminated.
To avoid from getting unexpected charges that will be reflected in your bill, disabling this option as our default payment method and only enable it when we need to make in-app purchases or choose other payment options would be the best way to ensure we are not getting bill shock.
Check out step-by-step guide below to disable DCB payment method:
Google Play (Android):
- Open the Google Play app.
- At the top right, tap the profile icon.
- Tap Payments & subscriptions > Payment methods > More > Payment settings.
- If asked, sign in to Google Pay.
- Under the payment method you want to remove, tap Remove > Remove.
- Go to Settings > Account Settings > Payment and Purchases
- Select desired phone number and touch Remove Card
- Enter your payment password to dissociate
For iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap your name.
- Tap Payment & Shipping. You might be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap Edit, tap the red Delete button, then tap Remove.
- If you have an unpaid balance, have subscriptions including an iCloud storage plan, or you use purchase sharing, you can’t remove all payment methods. Learn how to remove all payment methods.
- Open the App Store on your Mac.
- Click your name or the sign in button at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Click View Information.
- Next to Payment Information, click Manage Payments. (If you’re using an older version of macOS, click Edit next to Payment Type.) You might be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click Edit next to the payment method, then click Remove. If you have an unpaid balance, have subscriptions including an iCloud storage plan, or you use purchase sharing, you can’t remove all payment methods. Learn how to remove all payment methods.