|INTERNET SPEED AND ME
|We complain about our internet speed but do we know what is at play?
|TESTING YOUR INTERNET
|Try any of these publicly available websites/apps:
- Speedtest (Flash) : http://www.speedtest.net
- SpeedOf.Me (HTML 5) : http://speedof.me
- PCMag : http://pcmag.speedtestcustom.com/
Or use the one from your Internet Service Provider’s websites.
|UNDERSTANDING THE TEST
- Download Speed: Measures how fast data from world-wide web is transferred to your device. Higher is better.
- Upload Speed: Measures how fast data from your device is transferred to the world-wide web. Higher is better.
- Ping (Latency): Measures how long it takes for the internet to respond to your device. Lower is better.
|WHAT AFFECTS SPEED
- Your device and/or application/web-browser – The CPU, memory available, applications opened, cache, etc
- The connection between your device and the internet – There might be some interference with the WiFi or the cable might not be properly connected or damaged
- Adware/Spyware or Malware – There might be gremlins eating up your internet bandwidth/ speed
- The router – Old equipment/firmware are usually slower at handling fast internet speeds or someone is piggybacking on your WiFi or internet connection
- The host server – That website you are trying to access might be facing some bandwidth issues of their own and slowing everything down to a crawl.
|COMPARING YOUR CONNECTION
|Compare your internet speed with other users using these websites/apps:
- Sensorly – http://www.sensorly.com
- Open Signal App – http://www.opensignal.com
- My Mobile Coverage – http://www.mymobilecoverage.com
|IMPROVING YOUR CONNECTION
|Want to go faster? Try these:
- Reboot your device/router
- Scan your device for adware/spyware/malware
- Update firmware and/or Operating System
- Change your router password
- Call a specialist technician
If all else fails, switch off all devices and spend some quality undivided time with your loved ones. That usually works wonders.
Looking for a Good and Fast Internet Package?
Streaming movies, downloading music—no matter how you use the Internet,
WE have the list of-high speed Internet package for you.
The Choice is Yours!
#GetSmarterWithconsumerinfo #BeAsmartTelcoUser #TheChoiceIsYours